February 28, 2006 at 4:24 PM
Well people, it is official now, I am going to attemt to get MCSE certified in the ways of Windows Server 2003! Hopefully they won't require me to take the courses/classes because there are none offered here in the state of Colorado... makes for an exciting time. What is quite neat about taking the exams and whatnot, is that the actual exams cover some of the basic ideas behind Active Directory and security, among others... and they come with a nice "self-paced training kit" which contains the step by step directions I've been looking for to set up Active Directory, Systems Management Server 2003 (which just came in my MSDN subscription!), and Exchange 2003 (also in my MSDN subscription).
If any of you have any tips, or know anything I should know... drop me a line!
(Pearson VUE, a testing company that offers a ton of certifications, has a location right next to the interstate! That is about a 5 minute drive from my house!)
February 26, 2006 at 12:34 AM
Well, right now as we speek, or rather type, I am downloading the new version of Vista that was released to us MSDN subscribers on Thursday. I believe the build number is 5308, the February CTP release. Downloading using the new File Transfer Manager (don't notice the speed increase... I'm capped at 160 KB/sec (that's kilobytes, not bits, if it was in bits it would be about 1,280 kpbs and that is a very *general* approximation). So hopefully it'll be done when I wake up.
February 24, 2006 at 4:17 PM
Well, here at work, I ran into a nice little problem with a pseudo-server. I have a Windows XP machine running as a file server, which unfortunately entails a 10 concurrent user limit (no big deal here). The problem arose when they were viewing the contents of the hard drive, loaded with .tiff files, over a 100Mbit network. Mind you, the system itself is a 350MHz, 128MB RAM system, with an 8GB (os), 30GB, and 10GB striped together. Long story short, they were having issues where the server itself just stopped responding. Looking at the event log revealed an ID error of 2021 from the process Srv. Googling that (quite simple) I came across this article: KB 317249. I ran the registry edits Microsoft recommended, and all seems to be well right now, which is nice. For those of you who didn't follow the link, long story short, the network/file viewing requests were quickly filling the non-paged pool... and once it ran out... boom.
For those of you following my blog, it seems IE7 Beta 2 (7.0.5296.0) seems to have issues using the hyperlink tool in the RichText window editor.