December 21, 2006 at 11:35 PM
In case you haven't been following the news, Colorado was hit by a big, nasty blizzard these last few days. Even up where my brother lives. Just for fun though, I took two pictures of our deck tonight, after some snow has melted to show how much we really did get. I'm not too sure of the official ammounts but I do know that we have had at least 4 feet of snow in drifts. What I find hilarious about this whole situation is that most of our family is attempting to get together... in fact, most were supposed to arrive today. Ah well, on with the pictures!
December 4, 2006 at 1:05 AM
I finally learned how to create my own user controls, which allows me to create a custom control in which I specify everything that happens... which properties it exposes, how it renders to the screen, and even the types of sub controls! If you take a look at the source of the main page (and view.aspx - haven't gotten to the category view yet) you will notice it is full of divs instead of one huge span! You might also notice that the viewstate is MUCH SMALLER because the data isn't stored inside an <asp:Label> control. This will help loading times, and allow finer control over the final output. Stay tuned!
December 1, 2006 at 1:18 AM
Well, I now have my view.aspx page up, so you can now click on the title of a post and be able to view the entry plus any comments (if there are any present)! It seems to be working so far, I haven't covered for a missing entry yet, so you will get a post with no information (posted on January 1, 1900 I might add). One neat thing about the XML Serialization is that it now returns my entries as a CommentEntry or BlogEntry etc. This makes casting easier as I know that the types in the array are the type I expect. So I no longer need to do type checking on an ArrayList which can contain anything inside it. On a side note, I took a peek into writing managed code for my stored procedures, but couldn't find any benift since I don't do anything cpu intensive. I did see the power it has, however, if you needed to do a ton of parsing of data before returning it to the client. Keep an eye out for more progress!
November 30, 2006 at 2:06 AM
I know you don't see anything on your end, but the backend has had a major overhaul! I finally got away from using ArrayLists to return my data and instead wrote my own collections (based off of the abstract class System.Collections.CollectionBase) and added the [XmlAttribute], [XmlElement], [XmlRoot], and lastly [XmlArrayItem] to the classes to allow them to be serialized. It doesn't mean much to you viewers, but it does allow me to actually publish a specification that doesn't rely on the .net framework. It is quite late and I am tired, so I'll cut this short. Hopefully some of the other functionality will be available to you soon!